Friday, May 11, 2007

He wagged his tail!!!!

I let Linus out of his crate first &, as usual, he ran for his cave. When I went to hook him up to the lead, he sat up, pushed his head toward me, AND STARTED WAGGING HIS TAIL!!!!!!!!!
I petted him, praised him, and then hooked him up & the 3 of us headed outside. Linus moved out into the yard without the hesitation that he's previously shown. He went & did his business. Then walked back to me with his tail straight out & WAGGING!!!!! I fussed over him some more.

Back inside we went. Time to get breakfast for the dogs ready. Linus jumped up and followed me into the kitchen! He stood by his water & food bowl with his tail wagging while I poured food into his bowl. I put a handful of Linus' food into Einstein's food. Everything was going so well until our "Alpha" "Zeta" dog decided to assert himself and chased Linus out of the kitchen. Linus is now in his "cave". I know that it's a dog thing & that Einstein was probably fairly jealous this morning but still...

One thing I picked up from Cesar's book is that I was misinterpreting Linus' body language on the walk. Head erect, tail straight up, walking tall & proud is typical alpha dog behaviour which is how Einstein is on a walk. Head down, tail down (though it can still wag) is typical submissive/pack follower behaviour. When he was wagging his tail at me in the backyard it was straight out, not up. Interesting.

-----
Here's Chris' dog story for the morning. I had left for work and he was still here.

I was lazing around in bed and heard the far off sounds of a dog fight. Not too vicious, but yelping/whining/etc. This is really a good thing as it means Linus is feeling more comfortable and pushing some boundaries a little.

I also saw a little bit of Linus flippy tail when I first said hello to him this morning. Three obvious flips.

I went to get him from the cave for a walk this morning (easier to get potties done that way than the back yard) and didn't have to drag him for 3 feet before he started walking. The walk in full daylight was a little scarier for him than last nights walk in the dark.

Same thing happened with going to bed. Just had to drag him to get him started then trotted along while I held his collar.

No comments: