Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Walking

I just got back from walking with the boys. We've got a long leash for Linus but not a flexi. Einstein was on his flexi. I started talking "Let's go for a walk" & Einstein started his happy dance, luckily he didn't do any barking. I hooked Einstein up & then went to get Linus. I got him hooked up & chatting about going on a walk started pulling. Well, he's a 47 lb stubborn basset hound so you can imagine how that worked out. All the while, Einstein was going nuts dragging his leash around. I picked him up and carried him to the door. Once the door was open he ran for it.
He pretty much walks in a run, kinda crouched down, tail down, and looking from side to side. He's still scared which will take quite awhile to work on. He did come inside the house easily
but wasn't happy when I left him on the leash & took him over to his water dish. We're going to have to watch the front door. I think he would take off & run given half a chance. Poor little guy.
As soon as he was off the leash he ran for his hidey spot which was wet from him spilling his water. I had to shove hard to get him out to mop out the water. I put a blue pillow there for him to lay on. He's not really sure that he likes it. He did eat quite a bit this morning. Before the walk, he turned himself around and had his head sticking out between the furniture watching me.
He rang the bell to go outside so I walked over at which point he ran back on his pillow. I hooked him up to a 12 foot lunge line and opened the back door. Interestingly enough if I was standing outside he would come out the door when I would move to shut the door he'd throw it in reverse. He ran off the back deck & hit the end of the lunge line & looked back at me. I let him wander back & forth on the line for awhile and then brought the guys back inside.

Right now he's on the blue pillow with his back turned. I'm going to hang out with him a bit & knit. Then make a Target run for additional dog supplies.

No comments: